Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First Steps

I woke up on Monday morning worried. My first worry was that I hadn't got enough sleep. My second worry was that I wasn't going to be able to do what I wanted to do that day. What I was talking about in my first sentence here though, was the fact that I would head to the orientation at The University of Peradeniya Arts Faculty and come back with a bad first impression.

I have lived inside the campus grounds for fifteen years, and nothing that happens inside it ever motivated me to join and get a degree or whatever. The staff at the University is a mixed lot. Some are deeply intellectual, self-less and inspiring; some are shallow, mercenary and dull; some are in-between. The vast majority though (as is the case with the rest of our country) belong to the second category. The students are also a mix of kinds. Some are highly motivated young people with independence, well-functioning minds and understanding deeper than their age or experience; some are self-important and politically influenced; some are wasted and wasting; some are aimlessly wandering inside the campus following whatever course, taking whatever exam simply because their parents and the system taught them that the only way they can find themselves a future is by getting a useless degree in something they're not interested in. Here, the majority are from the last category. Then there are the campus grounds itself. The University of Peradeniya has by far, the largest campus in South Asia, spread across 750 hectares of prime land in the Hill Capital of Sri Lanka. Only a tiny fraction of this land has been utilized for the purposes of the university, and the remainder still rests as beautiful pine forests and grasslands, home to many wild creatures. I cannot say anything about the education offered at the University, because I have not experience it yet, but all that I have experienced has taught me that it doesn't have much to be appreciated. I knew this was a useless excursion.

All the same, I had promised myself that if I had no other plans of educating myself further by the time my letter of acceptance came through, I would sit through the three, four or five years I had to in order to get my degree. So I had to attend the orientation, and get oriented.

Saying my first impression of the whole thing was 'bad' is a serious understatement. I am a person who doesn't stick for impersonal bull longer than necessary, and after two hours of speeches, decided to walk out. The other 1000-something students (like the rest of the nation) decided to stay glued to their seats because they were told to. For four and a half hours, the Arts Theatre was a mass of freshers listening to one idiot with nothing to say after the other ranting in front of a malfunctioning mike. The first woman who came onstage was supposed to 'welcome' everyone. What she actually did was recite a list of names and titles which took about ten minutes and then add "on behalf of the Arts Faculty of The University of Peradeniya, I warmly welcome you to the Inauguration of the New Students 2008/2009" in Sinhala. This might have been alright and bearable if the woman was aware of how to make sounds using her vocal cords and related organs and how to move her lips. She was obviously oblivious to both possibilities.

The next person in front of the podium and more than a thousand students was the Vice Chancellor. Honestly speaking, I can't remember a word of what he said, because my brain has decided that whatever he said was not worth remembering. I added that last bit because I was listening, since I wasn't too bored (yet!). The basic gist of the address was along the lines of "this is the best place you undeserving twits could be, so you better just do what we tell you". It's ironic how people find it easier to tell others how undeserving they are when they themselves are the same. I mean, considering the state of the country and the prospects that the future holds for my generation, the Universities are lucky they have any applicants! A few more things about the speech remain in some distant corner of my memory:

  1. It was boring
  2. The man kept saying "I'm sure I don't have to repeat myself" and kept repeating himself
  3. It was boring
  4. After every paragraph (written on a number of half-sheets) the Vice Chancellor would translate himself into Sinhala and repeat what he said in English. With the repetitions.
  5. It was boring

This pattern of practicing for some speech contest based on 'What the University can offer you and what you should give back to the University' continued from 9am to 1pm, when the students were given a break to find lunch before their English Placement Test at 2pm. Every speech was followed by a translation in Tamil. Due 'Orientation' was received.

What on earth are these people thinking? I wish I never had to go back!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, for the record i just came across your blog and this particular entry just annoyed me to the very soul, that i had to say something.

if you feel that the university is so "boring" and that its full of inbetween and wasted/wasters, why the heck are you there? seriously, it is ppl like you who just give the whole institution such a messed up name. no place is perfect - i admit. but peradeniya, is probably one of the best places anyone can go to. and you need to be there and live through the 3 or 4 years to know what it is like...

you just have no right nor any authority to sit on your little chair and just diss the whole system - especially for someone who has been there for just a couple of days. if you are just so bloody disgruntled with the whole thing, you shouldnt even be there. just take yourself and go to some university in another country, which i am sure would appeal to all your senses.

seriously, its ppl like you who just make me want to puke. appreciate what is there in the system or just dont even bother going close. dont think that you have or will ever have the capactiy to bring it down to a level of "nothingness" which you managed to do so well.

Scourge (Skûrj) said...

Anon: Just goes to show how little you know of the real world. If you'd taken the post in the way it was meant to be taken I am sure that you wouldn't be annoyed. Besides the fact that this post annoyed you to the very soul says that you already know the short comings of the uni and you agree with this post but you are in denial and wish all those bad things would disappear. Tough shit! It won't.

Unknown said...

ha ha thanks there C! *wink*

Nelie_gal said...

Totally agreed on the bit about the university! can relate it to it 100%